Wednesday 10 August 2011

Gas Safe or CORGI?

It seems that many people are still not quite sure as to whether they needs a CORGI registered engineer to install their gas products in their home. So just to clarify the matter for those who are unsure as from the 1st of April 2009 Gas Safe Register Replaced CORGI, so you should not let anyone who claims to be CORGI registered work on your gas items in your home, and you shouldn't let anyone other then a Gas Safe Registered engineer carry out gas related work or surveying.

If you wish to find out whether a business or individual is Gas Safe registered and what work they are qualified to do then you can visit or you can call 0800 405 55 00.

Gas Safe Register installers or engineers will also carry with them their gas safe register engineer photo ID card. The Card has a picture of the engineer on the front with a unique license number, that you can quote over the phone or input on the website to ensure the engineer is the person they claim to be.

The front of the card will also have a start and expiry date and a security hologram. Please be aware that the back of the card also contains important information as it shows the type of work the engineer is qualified to do, these include gas fire, cooker, boiler installation etc. This is also a way to check that the engineers qualifications are up to date too.

Unsafe gas work may cause carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions, so it is of the utmost importance that a registered Gas Safe installer is involved with any gas work carried out in you home.

Gas Safe Register has also provided 5 top tips to help keep you and your family safe and these are as follows:

  1. Always use a Gas Safe registered engineer for any gas work in your home – and check their ID card.
  2. Make sure your gas appliances are safety checked and serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines, or at least once a year.

  3. If you live in rented accommodation, your landlord must arrange for a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out a safety check every year on all gas appliances. You should be given a copy of the safety certificate before you move in or within 28 days of the safety check. If you don’t have this certificate, ask your landlord.
  4. Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm, which will alert you if dangerous levels are present in your home.
  5. If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak: turn off the gas at the meter, extinguish naked flames, open windows and leave the area. Seek medical advice if you feel unwell. Call the Gas Emergency Freephone number 0800 111 999.

No comments:

Post a Comment