Friday 7 December 2012

How Do I Remove My Old Gas Fire?

During the summer months most people aren't thinking about their fireplace but when the summer moves into autumn and on into winter then the season for buying a new fire or fireplace begins, the next question after you've decided on what you want to replace the old fire is How Do I Remove My Old Fire?
Most people would think, Do It yourself, How hard can it be? Just pull the fire out of the surround and disconnect and cap the gas pipe. It becomes even more of a rush to get a new Gas fire in the run up to Christmas, with most fitters fully booked with long waiting lists.
This approach is highly illegal and could jeopardise the safety and lives of you and the other people in and around the house or cause problems when trying to sell the property.

The only safe way to remove your old gas fire is to have a gas engineer that is on the Gas Safe Register.
The Gas Safe Register is the official body for gas safety in the home and workplace for the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Guernsey. Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI as the gas registration body in Great Britain and Isle of Man on 1 April 2009 and Northern Ireland and Guernsey on 1 April 2010
They are the only official list of gas engineers legally able to perform gas work on boilers, hobs, ovens, fires and all other gas appliances.
Anyone carrying out gas work must have a Gas Safe Register ID card. If not, they are breaking the law and putting you and your family at risk.

Gas safety is one of the most important factors in having a safe home and work place. The dangers that surround unsafe gas appliances are deadly serious. Poorly maintained, faulty or badly installed gas work leads to carbon monoxide poisoning, the effects of which can be fatal.
It’s not always easy to spot an illegal gas fitter for a fully qualified Gas Safe registered engineer. Always ask to see your gas engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card to make sure they are safe and legal.

The Gas Safe register is here to make sure you don’t fall into the trap of paying for illegal gas work with your health, and possibly your life.

How Do I Find A Gas Safe Registered Engineer?

Finding an engineer that is registered on the Gas Safe Register couldn't be easier, simply by visiting the Gas Safe Register website and typing in your postcode, this will display the nearest registered fitters and businesses to you and their contact details. Or find a business by using the telephone finding service on 0800 408 5500.

No comments:

Post a Comment